New Wedding Hair and Makeup Ideas
New York Bridal Fashion Week is the perfect place to find hair and makeup inspiration to rock on your wedding day. From bold brows to natural makeup and gorgeous braids, here are the hottest styles in bridal beauty we saw on the runways – plus how to get the look.
Let your natural beauty shine through on your wedding day with glowing skin, lightly flushed cheeks and fresh-bitten lips.
- Tip for the Taking: The key is to make sure your skin is clean, exfoliated and well moisturized. A light foundation or tinted moisturizer will hide any blemishes or trouble spots, while a light dusting of blush applied at the apples of your cheeks will give you a healthy rosy flush. Finish the look with a nude lip with just a hint of color.
Braids made a big statement this season with some of the hottest bridal designers like Claire Pettibone, Theia, Kelly Faetanini, and Della Giovanna sending everything from face-framing halos to intricately woven updos down the runway.
- Tip for the Taking: For a totally romantic style like this, try an updo with layered braids and delicate face-framing strands, or our favorite: a loose, swideswept fishtail braid.
Bold brows, first made big by the likes of Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor and Brooke Shields, are making a comeback thanks to supermodel Cara Delevingne. During New York Bridal Fashion Week, designers like Monique Lhuillier, Reem Acra and Theia embraced the trend for their Fall 2015 collections, highlighting the staying power of this eye-catching look.
- Tip for the Taking: To really make your eyes pop, gently fill in the brows to get the shape you want and lightly apply a powder over it. It’s the perfect way to enhance your eyes while adding depth and dimension to your bridal look.
Laissez – hair
It was all about free-flowing locks and undone updos at Houghton, Ines Di Santo and Rivini this season. The look feels fresh, contemporary and unfussy, a cool alternative to the traditional chignon. It’s sure to add an edge to a classic, more formal gown and pairs perfectly with a laid-back bridal look.
- Tip for the Taking: Already have a hairstyle you love? Whether you want a romantic chignon or to wear your hair down, ask your hairstylist to give your hair some extra texture by either teasing or adding in waves before pulling it back. Allowing strands to loosely hang and frame the face will give the look a pretty, effortless vibe.
Lip gloss gets a bad rep, but if done right, it can give your lips a beautiful luminous look. Plus, it perfectly pairs with natural-looking makeup. Marchesa, Lazaro and Hayley Paige rocked this look and it could not have been more gorgeous.
- Tip for the Taking: Prep lips with a sugar scrub to remove any dead skin, then apply your favorite lipstick or lip stain, followed by a thin layer of lip gloss in a similar shade to add another layer of dimension. Skip glosses with sparkle or metallic sheen to avoid a more juvenile look.
Brown Eye Makeup
In keeping with the natural theme, consider matte brown for your eye shadow and liner. The combo enhances the eyes without looking too in-your-face. Two of our favorite versions of the brown eye makeup trend were at the Alberta Ferretti and Marchesa runway shows.
- Tip for the Taking: Stay away from brown mascara. Trust us: It will never compare with the boost your lashes get from a solid black.
A common wedding makeup request is to give skin a dewy look, and this season is no different. To achieve the glowy, not shiny, face, makeup artists use a pearly highlighter stick.
- Tip for the Taking: You’ll get the most shimmer by using a hint of highlighting makeup on the cheek bones, the corner of the inner eye and just below your brows.
For your lips, bring out your natural color with soft pinks and corals that work well with your skin tone. We saw really pretty examples of natural lips at Pronovias and Romona Keveza.
- Tip for the Taking: Try a colorful balm, like Gucci Westman from Revlon did at Marchesa, for a sheer lip that won’t have a super-goopy texture.