These recipe may not look like traditional American hot dogs you are used to (maybe more like sausage rolls) but I can assure you – they are amazing! The dough is fluffy and soft inside and crispy on the outside. Keto, Low Carb, Paleo
Ingredients (makes 6 servings – hot dogs)
- 6 sausages (pastured and gluten-free)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 recipe of Ultimate Keto Buns without the seed topping
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds of preference (sesame, flax, poppy seeds, caraway or sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Serve with Dijon mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce (optional)
- Prepare the dough for the hot dogs by following the recipe for “Best Low Carb Buns”. I used mixer to process the dough.
- Place the dough into a wrapping foil and leave to rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. When done, remove from the fridge and divide into 6 equal pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Wet your hands and roll out each one of them into about 15 inch / 40 cm long. Wet your hands between rolling each of the pieces. (You can use “regular” hot dog sausages, just make sure you avoid those with added flour, sugar and unnecessary additives).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Wrap around each sausage. I left gaps between the threads to allow for even cooking. It also helps crisping up the dough and reduces moisture. In a bowl, beat the egg yolk and brush onto each of the hot dogs.
- Sprinkle with the seeds and salt and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
- When done, place on a serving plate and serve with Dijon mustard, ketchup or BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
Nutritional values (per hot dog)
328 calories; 24.74.1 20