French cuisine… Croque Monsieur sounds so much more up-market than a fried ham and cheese sandwich, non? Either way, our keto version will have you enjoying every bite! Can you say “oh là là”?
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 8 oz. cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder
- 4 tbsp butter or coconut oil for frying
- 51⁄3 oz. smoked deli ham
- 51⁄3 oz. cheddar cheese
- ½ finely chopped red onion (optional)
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl. Mix in the cottage cheese. Add ground psyllium husk powder while stirring to incorporate it smoothly, without lumps. Let the mixture rest for five minutes until the batter has set.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Add a generous amount of butter and fry the batter like small pancakes for a couple of minutes on each side, until they are golden. Make two pancakes per serving.
- Assemble a sandwich with sliced ham and cheese between two of the warm pancakes. Add finely chopped onion on top.
- Wash and tear the lettuce. Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper into a simple vinaigrette. Serve the Croque Monsieur warm beside lettuce dressed with the vinaigrette.
Note: Put a fried egg on top and you’ll have a Croque Madame! Equally fancy sounding, and equally delicious.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Per serving: 1082 calories; 928 54
Recipe: Diet Doctor