Traditional lemon squares are gooey and tangy and guaranteed to make a mess of your fingers. This spin on an old classic combines the bite of a lemon with a dairy free, egg based, custard style filling which is topped with crispy toasted coconut chips and packed with protein.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup erythritol
- ½ tablespoon lemon zest, see note*
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup toasted coconut chips, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, and lemon zest then stir until all ingredients are uniformly mixed.
- Cut the softened butter into the flour mix with a fork. You may want to dig in with your hands to thoroughly incorporate the butter into the flour.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Bring a saucepan to medium heat and add butter, erythritol, lemon zest, and milk. Stir until the butter and sugar has been completely dissolved.
- Pour in lemon juice. Be sure to use a strainer if you are using freshly squeezed juice!
- Slowly whisk in the eggs and stir continuously over medium low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. This should talk about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the lemon filling into your crust and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Prepare the topping.
- In a small food processor or blender pulse the toasted coconut, almond flour, and butter until you have a grainy mixture.
- Sprinkle topping on your lemon squares and return to the hot oven to crisp the top for approximately 5 minutes, or 1 minute under a hot broiler. Be careful not to burn the crumble!
- Let cool before serving.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Recipe: Recommended Tips