This rich chocolate tart dessert recipe is low in sugar, making it a perfect healthy finish to a heavy holiday meal.
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips (60% cacao)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 peppermint candy for garnish
- ¾ cup whipped cream for garnish
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place water in freezer to cool while you make the dough.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle with oil and toss together with a fork until evenly damp and crumbly. Drizzle with the cold water; toss with the fork. Use your hands to bring the dough together into a ball, but don’t knead or overwork it.
- Place the dough between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into an 11-inch circle. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap and carefully invert the dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently press the dough into the bottom and up the sides. Trim and patch where necessary. Prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven. Bake until the dough pulls away slightly from the edges, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to prepare filling: Place chocolate chips in a heatproof medium bowl. Combine milk and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture looks thick like honey and frothy, about 5 minutes. Pour it over the chocolate chips. Add peppermint extract and salt; let stand for 1 minute without stirring. After 1 minute, stir gently with a spatula until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thick like pudding. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Set aside at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Gently swirl the surface of the chocolate with the back of a spoon, from one side to the other. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 4 hours.
- If desired, crush peppermint candy and sprinkle over the tart. Use a hot knife to cut the tart into 12 pieces. Garnish each piece with 1 tablespoon whipped cream, if desired.
- Equipment: 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Per serving: 194 calories; 12 g fat(5 g sat); 2 g fiber; 21 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 20 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g sugars; 42 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 27 mg calcium; 2 mg iron;106 mg sodium; 47 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
Recipe By: Summer Miller